If you saw a double-decker bus full of young people without safety, security or a place to sleep tonight, chances are you’d want to do something to stop it. This is the huge scale of the problem we’re facing. So why does it go under the radar?
It’s because youth homelessness is difficult to track and hard to see. Many young people don’t want to admit there’s a problem, they don’t think they’ll be taken seriously, or they might just not know what to do next. So, they don’t go to their council, and they’re left out of the official stats.
Take last year. Of the young people who came to see us, only 56% had told their council they were homeless. That leaves 44% of young homeless people unaccounted for*.
So, while the official stat of 15,200 young Londoners facing homelessness last year is already shocking**, we know the real number is nearly double that.
* Percentage calculations based on an NHYC dataset from the 2021-22 financial year